Saturday, April 19, 2014

Queue Up

WOW......Todays's letter is Q.  Well I don't think you can travel in this day and age without finding yourself in a queue.....be it for a cup of coffee, to use the bathroom, to go through security at the airport, to board or deplane your plane.  Knowing that ahead of time and expecting it might make people be more patient.  Sadly, queuing up seems to bring out some ugliness in people who think they have the right to be in the front of said queue.......even though often they walk right in front of someone who's been standing there longer.  

Some perspective......see what the dictionary has to say about the word.

1. A line of waiting people or vehicles.
2. A long braid of hair worn hanging down the back of the neck; a pigtail.
3. Computer Science
a. A sequence of stored data or programs awaiting processing.
b. A data structure from which the first item that can be retrieved is the one stored earliest.
intr.v. queuedqueu·ingqueues
To get in line: queue up at the box office.

[French, from Old French cuetail, from Latin cauda, cōda.]
Word History: When the British stand in queues (as they have been doing at least since 1837, when this meaning of the word is first recorded in English), they may not realize they form a tail. The French word queue from which the English word is borrowed is a descendant of Latin cōda, meaning "tail." French queue appeared in 1748 in English, referring to a plait of hair hanging down the back of the neck. By 1802 wearing a queue was a regulation in the British army, but by the mid-19th century queues had disappeared along with cocked hats. Latin cōda is also the source of Italian coda, which was adopted into English as a musical term (like so many other English musical terms that come from Italian). A coda is thus literally the "tail end" of a movement or composition.

Another Q word related to travel, is Quin, which is apparently a hotel room for 5 people.



Pop in Often, remember Menu Mondays for dining tips, Traveling Tips on Thursday, and any day for vacation destinations.

10 comments:

  1. Sandy...Thanks for your comment on my Letter Q post...Traces of a Queen. In answer to your questions...I use Family Tree Maker and have my Family Tree on ancestry.com. I am a contributor on Find A Grave...here is my Profile Link: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=47574044&

    As to your request to leave a link to my blog....I have created a signature hyperlink that I leave on all my comments especially the AtoZ Challenge visits. I have tested it many times, and for me it goes right to my blog...not to my google+ profile. So, I am wondering now if it is not doing so for others. I did go back to the comment I left on your blog for the letter P and checked my signature link...it worked. I also noticed that another SUE had posted below my comment and her link did lead to her google+ and numerous clicks to reach her blog posts. So, again, I'm wondering if perhaps your message about was meant for that SUE or if my hyperlink is not working for you. Please let me know if it works...my email is collectintexas@gmail.com or leave a comment on my blog post.
    Thanks,
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, awesome to meet you. Right you are. I got the two Sue's confused. I do see your name as a link which goes to your google+page, but I also see how you've left the hyperlink. Thanks for clearing it up for me, much appreciated. Hoped over and connected with you on FAG also.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post! Thanks for coming by my blog today, hope you have a great weekend!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queue is a great word for scrabble and other word games as well. I don't like standing in queue's. I will downright not do something if the line is too long and I won't go to stores and restaurants that don't bring in more help to accommodate the lines. It is my stand against the business that try to cut costs by keeping less people on staff to save money and then expecting the others to do two times the work. And if I must, and if the employee is working like a maniac trying to keep up and still smiling, I definitely try to leave a big tip or at least let them know that I appreciate their efforts. There I feel better. Thanks for visiting my blog, yours is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate queues at the airport. And I had no idea what a Quin was. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quin is also a very cool kid I've been blessed to raise. =) I always love seeing the etymology of words. It's fascinating how language evolves over time.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never even heard the word queue until we started traveling so much. Why can't they just say 'line'. I'd rather stand in like than be stuck in a queue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lines are one of my least favorite parts of traveling- especially lines to get off a plane! i'm so anxious by then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great linguistics lesson; I love hearing the history of words. I love the word "queue" but hate doing it! (http://www.reflectionsenroute.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your visits and comments, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

ALL comments left with name and url will be returned. NO PROFILE links please!